Who We Are
5Since our Launch, as a Friends Charity, in September 2011, we have been delighted to welcome some 450 memberships across our individual, joint/family and corporate categories, involving over 700 individual Friends.
Our Members are both local and from other parts of Hampshire and beyond, all of whom are keen to help preserve one of Britain’s finest heritage jewels here in Winchester.
St Cross is one of the oldest Almshouses in the UK with 24 Brothers currently resident in the “Almshouse of Noble Poverty”
The idea of forming a ‘Friends’ for the Hospital of St Cross had been talked about for years! In 2011 a group of residents of St Cross decided to take action and in September 2011 the Charity was launched. We are all volunteers because we love our Hospital.
For a small annual membership fee you can help to preserve this ancient foundation for ourselves and future generations. You will also get free entry privileges and be able to participate in events that the Friends organize, often related to St Cross or almshouses in general. See the 2017 Calendar here.
What we offer
- Free access for members to the public buildings and gardens at normal opening times
- A regular Newsletter
- Special Friends’ events
- Email notification of other events and activities at the Hospital of St Cross
- A Friends’ Day with a programme of activities
- Discounts at the Hospital shop on special occasions
How we use your membership fees and donations
- We do not spend any of your money on printing and publishing! We obtain sponsorship or sell advertising in our Newsletter to cover these expenses.
- We give annual grants from our surpluses to the Hospital to fund projects we have selected. Click here to see details of how the £63,500 that we have given so far has been spent
- Every year your Board will choose selected projects to support with grants. Details will be published on this Website and in the Newsletter.